Wateree Community Action

Wateree Community Action, Inc.

In This Section

Head Start

Head Start is a Federal program that promotes the school readiness of children from birth to age five from low-income families by enhancing their cognitive, social, and emotional development. Head Start programs provide a learning environment that supports children's growth in many areas such as language, literacy, and social and emotional development. Head Start emphasizes the role of parents as their child's first and most important teacher. These programs help build relationships with families that support family well-being and many other important areas.

Children from birth to age five from families with low income, according to the Poverty Guidelines published by the Federal government, are eligible for Head Start and Early Head Start services.

In order to qualify, you must have an annual household income (before taxes) that is below the following amounts:


Household Size*

Maximum Income Level (Per Year)

















*For households with more than eight people, add $4,160 per additional person. Always check with the appropriate managing agency to ensure the most accurate guidelines.

Source: benefits.gov




Wateree Community Actions, Inc. operates two sub-programs within its Head Start Program:


Pre-School (Regular) Head Start Program - serves children 3 & 4 years of age, operates from August-May of each year, and has ten (10) sites located across Clarendon, Kershaw, Lee, and Sumter counties.

Early Head Start Program - serves infants and toddlers, operates from August-June of each year, and has sites located across Clarendon, Kershaw, and Lee counties.


To apply/enroll into Wateree Head Start/Early Head Start programs, the following is required:

  • Legal Birth Certificate
  • Current Certificate of Immunization
  • Proof of income for parent/legal guardian (most recent W-2 or pay stub)
  • Social Security Numbers for ALL members of household


For more information about enrollment, qualifications, etc., please contact your local head start center.